Wednesday, September 23, 2015

High School - Parent Communications

To be quite honest, from a teacher’s perspective, communicating with parents can be stress inducing, particularly if you have to broach a difficult topic. However, parents are our most important allies on this journey to create students who are fully prepared to move on from us and live productive, successful lives. 
In my experience, I have found a few things that are very important in parent communication:

1.  In any communication, start with the positive.  It is two weeks into this 2015-16 school year, and I already have a sincere affection for my students.  I am enjoying getting to know them, and I think we are going to have a great year.  It was that way last year, and the year before that, and so on. My students are the best part of my job by far.  For most teachers, I think this is true.  In any communication or conference, start there.  Parents need to trust that you value their child and want what is best for them. 

2.  As often as possible, communicate good news about their student, not just the problems or concerns.  Due to time constraints, this can be incredibly difficult.  I have approximately 115 students.  You can do the math.  Last spring, I ordered some postcards, personalized them, and made them pretty.  I randomly selected students and sent notes to parents just to say something positive about their child.  Unfortunately, I did not get to all 115 students in the spring semester.  This year, I am starting earlier, and my goal is to send at least one note of appreciation and admiration to the parents of each of my students. 

3.  I hate confrontation, but sometimes problems or concerns arise that need attention. It is also important to remember that confronting something does not (and in this case SHOULD not) be hostile.  It is important to address issues so that you can, as the sage Barney Fife said, “nip it in the bud.”  Approach these issues honestly, but with grace and respect.  Listen to the parents and recruit them to partner with you to solve the problem.  You are on the same side, after all. At the risk of sounding too “mushy,” as a teacher who is also a parent, I try to remember that we are dealing with someone’s baby- even if they are 16.

4.  Be transparent.   Make it easy for parents to access any information that is important to their children’s success.  The many technological avenues available to us can be a great benefit in this area.



Kris Williams is the wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, and mother of educators.  I am entering my 18th year as an English teacher, and I can't imagine doing much else(although I've always thought being a spy would be cool). I am blessed to live this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment