Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Elementary School - Parent Communication

The primary way that I communicate with my parents are through my website (that we update weekly), emails and my students' daily folders.  It's my students' "job" to take their folder home, have their parents look at it and bring it back the next day!  In the folder is: completed work, notes/information from me, PTA, the school, etc. and a calendar with everything that's going on that month.  This calendar is also where their behavior/conduct is recorded for the day.

Another means of communication that I love is Remind101 messages!  This allows me to remind my students and parents about upcoming events or deadlines through a text message.  As a parent, I love receiving these at night or in the morning to remind me of something when my child is present - not while I'm busy at work and will forget again!

The main thing I stress with my parents is to ALWAYS communicate and ask questions!!   No question or concern is too small, silly...  I would rather be over informed and have too many questions.   Here's a real life example-  your family pet is sick and you know you're going to have to make that tough decision.  Your child is going to be sad, may loose sleep, have questions...  Send me a quick email and let me know. Then, I can help them cope at school too.


My primary goal is to create life long learners and kids who LOVE to come to school!  The more we talk and communicate the easier both of our jobs are!



Michelle Wilson graduated from Texas A&M University with a B.S. In Psychology, Minor in Management.  After graduating she worked in the "corporate world" for 12 years and realized that was not what she wanted to do for he rest of her life. So, she got her teaching certification and has been teaching Kindergarten at Sunnyvale since then (this is her 9th year).  Michelle, her husband Ken and her their 2 daughters have lived in Sunnyvale for 14 years!  Their daughter Taylor is a freshman at Texas A&M University (Whoop!) and Madi is a sophomore at Sunnyvale High School.  They are very proud Sunnyvale Raiders!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment