Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Formative Assessments in the Elementary School

Formative Assessment (dramatic pause with thoughts of the voice of Edwin Starr) , what is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!  Sing it again, sing it again!  Formative assessment, uh-wooh, what is it good for… okay I’m just joking, absolutely EVERYTHING! Bless my heart for trying to connect E Starr to formative assessments! A teacher can try for cryin’ out loud. Okay honestly for the first 8 years of my 12 years teaching, I had little to no idea what to do with formative assessment. What was this mystical word that principals encouraged me to use and why did I need it?  I grouped this type of thing with my pile of “ geez, another thing I need to grade” category or I convinced myself (you don’t have to twist my arm about it ) I’ll save that for figuring it all out during my summer months when I have all the time in the world.  Cough, yeah right. Data was a check box on my teacher to do list that I rarely looked over twice. Yes, I really did rat myself out.  Seriously folks, I was counting my grades and making sure I had enough, if you know what I mean. Personally my value for formative assessments was nil and I had no use/time for it in my classroom.
About 4 years ago I moved out of Texas to Colorado. There I had twice as many students per teacher and twice as many needs. In the school district I was in, teachers have little resources and tons of students, and have to develop individual learning plans (the two words I don’t like to say too loud, measurable date).  I was in desperate need to find help and find it quick. There was a course that was available to me because I was a new professional to the school, so I signed up.  The class was working through a book called, 7 Strategies of Assessment for Learning.  The evasive formative assessment had followed me all the way to the Rockies. Fine, fine, I catch on quick.  The author, Jan Chappuis, has equipped me to look at what it is and what it isn’t. My first common major mistake was plain ol’ misunderstanding. Formative assessment is not an instrument or an event, but a collection of practices with a common feature: they all lead to some action that improves learning (pg. 4).  In the words of Mrs. Chappuis, this kind of assessment is essentially feedback, it is immediately used to make adjustments so as to form new learning (pg. 4).
The light had come on. A new dawn had come. I was blind but now I see. Yada, yada, needless to say I had a new, deep understanding of formative assessments.  Whereas my old teacher ways had formative assessments in the trunk of my educational car, now my new teacher ways has formative assessments as my passenger. The more I practice this way of teacher feedback, the more time and understanding I have of my students. It’s not just my teacher gut (which by the way all good teachers have) but, now I can prove it with data. This new way for me is empowering and has built me stronger and more effective as an educator.
All good teachers want to improve learning for their students. Formative assessments allow students to self-monitor, close gaps, clear up vague understands, and have targets to focus on when struggling with a variety of contents. This is for all grade levels and all abilities.  
Data is a friend to all teachers.

Karye Boyer is a girl who likes to equip people with the things they need to love life, love learning and to love themselves. She’s been teaching for 11 years in public schools and hopes to one day grow up to be like Gretchen Barnabei. Her family is happy to live back in Texas.  She teaches 4th grade ELA/R and Social Studies. She thinks teaching is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment