Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Formative Assessment in the High School

In a tested STAAR E.O.C. subject like U.S. History, formative assessments are crucial to meeting individual student needs as well as the needs of an entire class. Over the years I have refined my formative measurements to include numerous methods, and it is an ever-changing process. 

Last year I began using Socrative as a way to introduce unit TEKS to students. I create my unit test beforehand and then select questions for the formative assessments. This successfully introduces students to the TEKS, the topics, and the necessary reading comprehension. In addition, before the summative test, I can open the Socrative for students to review. This year, I began using Kahoot as a quick way to check for understanding over one or two TEKS. Students love Kahoot and it gives instant feedback! I also go "old school" and use graphic organizers or short answer questions after direct teach portions to ensure students apply the knowledge. Recently, I adjusted this approach to use a short answer round robin, where each table had a question and students rotated around to answer the questions. Activities like that give students an opportunity to practice their writing skills for the unit summative writing assessment. The process is a bit different for my dual credit classes, where I use discussion boards to check for understanding over primary documents or important concepts. Dual credit requires some independent learning and a faster pace, so formative assessments focus on the ability to analyze information and to express critical thinking. Formative assessments scaffold instruction, building to a summative assessment, but also scaffold a variety of learning skills. 

Go Raiders!

Kerry Green is the U.S. History teacher (11th Grade) at SHS, and has been with Sunnyvale since the high school opened (formerly known as Mrs. Cookston). She has four sons: J.W. (graduate 2012), Wade (senior), Ryan (sophomore), and Wyatt (8th grade). 

No comments:

Post a Comment