Thursday, August 20, 2015

Getting to know students & building a positive classroom culture



August's question: What's your favorite way to get to know students and build a positive classroom culture?

To me, a positive classroom culture means having a class that students feel safe and encouraged, so safe and encouraged that they are willing to take risks. Mr. Williams asked teachers on Monday, in one word, what would we hope to be described as? I said accepting. I think it’s really hard to be a middle schooler, to fit in or find their place, to figure it all out. I can remember when I was in middle school, the first day was so exciting, I was all ready for the year, wearing a new outfit, new shoes, had a new backpack and I couldn’t wait to see all my friends that I had missed all summer.  Lots of excitement for one day! I try as a teacher to not forget that those talkative, excited and energetic kids are also nervous! Each of them with a new schedule of classes with teachers they don’t know much about, filled with a classroom full of students, just trying to figure it all out. So, to ease them into the school year, I start the first week with lots of “get to know you” and team-building activities. Some of these activities challenge them to share about themselves, or express themselves in various ways. This builds trust between the students, and helps them learn the culture of my room. As they do these activities, they are learning about each other’s personalities, likes, dislikes, boundaries, comfort zones and they are creating their own unique classroom culture without even realizing it, and, as all this happens I am observing and learning about them as well.

Also, as students come into my room, I make them feel welcome with a high five, hug, a pat on the back, or a simple hello. The first day, I tell them about myself and they get to see that I am goofy and that I am excited for them to be in my class. I share with them that I used to be shy, and that I had a teacher in middle school that challenged me to get out of my “box” and it was hard, but if they take risks, they will be so proud and surprised about who they can become and what they can learn about themselves. We discuss how everyone’s “box” looks different and I tell them we are going to help and challenge each other to get out of those boxes. One of my favorite quotes, on a poster in my room is by Oscar Wilde, “Be yourself, everyone else is taken.” I tell students, it’s cool to be who you are, and to be proud of who you are, whether you are laid-back, quirky, athletic, artsy, reserved or outgoing, you be you. I set the expectation that we respect and learn from each other’s points of view, and we don’t always think alike and that’s okay. I encourage diversity of thinking, of learning, of doing, it allows kids to be creative with their own thinking and strengthens their acceptance of others. In theatre we have a motto, “we’re weird and we know it.” And in my class, it’s okay to know it and show it!    

Rae Harvill is the theatre teacher at SMS, and this is her 6th year teaching, 3rd in Sunnyvale. She has a B.S from UNT and is working on her master’s degree at Lamar University. She and her husband have been married for 6 years. Rae also performs in many community theatre productions throughout the DFW area.

No comments:

Post a Comment