Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Getting to know students & building a positive classroom culture

August's question: What's your favorite way to get to know students and build a positive classroom culture?


My favorite way to get to know students is with a fun "first day of school" activity.  Since I teach chemistry we do an activity where students must make up an element for the "Periodic Table of Students" that represents them personally (i.e. name, symbol, birthdate, characteristics, etc).  These allow students to be creative, share a little about themselves, and display for their peers.  It also allows me a chance to read through and get a peek at my new student's personal selves.
As the year goes on, I feel like it is important to take what you learned about them on the first day and build.  Ask about the extra-curricular activity they participate in, their siblings they mentioned, their hobbies they expressed interest in, etc.  Show up to things they are involved in if you can; be a visible supporter.
I think building a positive classroom culture stems from the openness you can show your students.  There has to be respect, but also a level of transparency.  If I want to get to know them and for them to open up to me, I have to return the favor.  I tell them stories about my kids, my weekend, my "glory days" in high school, etc.  I build up a rapport so that when/if major challenges arise later in the year (content or personal) they trust me to help them work through it.
Anastasia Armstreet - Sunnyvale High School Chemistry
This is Stasia's 7th year teaching; 4th year at Sunnyvale, HS Science composite. She has a BA Sports Medicine from Austin College and a MS Secondary Education from TAMU-Commerce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment